How To Be Prepared for a Hurricane
FEMA Hurricane safety tips: Learn what to do before a hurricane.
To prepare for a hurricane, you should take the following measures:
- For beginners, you should have an emergency response protocol in place. SERVPRO of Midtown Manhattan can assist you with this by creating a complimentary Emergency Ready Profile customized to your property. Your ERP can help you with building a plan in the event of an emergency. Additionally, you should have a first aid kit with all essentials and a communication plan in place for the security of you and your family.
- Know your surroundings.
- Learning the elevation level of your property will help you know how your property will be affected when tidal flooding or storm surges are forecasted.
- Identify and determine whether levees and dams in your area pose a hazard to you.
- Learn community hurricane evacuation routes, how to find higher ground, and determine where you would go and how you would get there if you needed to evacuate.
How to Make a Plan for Securing my Property?
- Cover all windows. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows. Another option is to board up windows with 5/8” marine plywood, cut to fit and ready for install. Tape will not prevent windows from breaking.
- To reduce roof damage, install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof to the frame structure.
- Ensure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Clearing loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts will reduce soil erosion which can affect your homes foundation and cause water damage.
- Reinforce your garage doors to avoid dangerous and expensive structural damage.
- Plan to bring in all outdoor items that may not be tied down: furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else.
- Secure your boat if you own one.
- Install a generator.
- Be prepared to take shelter on or below the 10th floor if you’re in a high-rise building.
- Consider building a safe room.
SERVPRO is the leading restoration company in the industry. SERVPRO of Midtown Manhattan knows the key to limiting business interruption is fast mitigation. SERVPRO of Midtown Manhattan is equipped to remediate disasters of any size and will be onsite within a couple of hours helping reduce future damage, with the right equipment, training and procedures to ensure your structure is back to a state "Like it never even happened," while saving you time and money.