Preparing for Winter Weather
When you are dealing with storm, flood, and water damage, immediate action is crucial. You should choose the company with storm damage experience and expertise that has the resources and equipment to handle the job. SERVPRO of Midtown Manhattan can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. Here are some helpful tips that better prepare your home and business during these harsh winter months. And remember to add our phone number to your contact list as your choice for emergency fire and water damage cleanup; 212-768-9400.
Staying Prepared Tips
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pips for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it off.
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
PREPARE YOUR BUSINESS:
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice and snow can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Inspect walkways, and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potentials.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas.
- Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Ask SERVPRO of Midtown Manhattan about starting a Disaster Recovery Plan for your business.